Andrew Archibald wrote:

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 13:38, John Richard Smith wrote:

How may one change file attributes ?

'chmod' for file access access permissions ('man chmod' for details), for other (more obscure, less advisable to play with) attributes, try 'man chattr'.

and how do you unhide hidden files ( the .file type) in a consul ?

The period that proceeds the filename is to indicate that it is to be hidden during normal browsing- for settings etc. This hiding isn't due to any attributes (as far as I'm aware). To view these files you just have to overwrite the behaviour of the file browsing application you are using. For instance, if you are at a console you're probably using 'ls'.
From 'man ls' the switch to use is -a, so 'ls -a' should display all the
files.

In graphical interfaces such as Konqueror there are settings that
achieve the same effect.

A.

Thankyou Andrerw,
I just don't know why I didn't think of ls -a   now that you point it out to me.Too
obvious wasn't it.

cd /mnt/win_c2/downloads2
downloads2]# ls -a
./   dnloads/  .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso*
../ .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso.segments*

Now the interesting thing about this iso file is that it has acquired "text file" icon status, when it was "unknown" icon status.

so I thought I'd do this just for fun,

lsattr .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso

lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso

I,m sure I don't really know what it is on about really, but I'm just
curious to understand what this is about. I have no idea what "ioctl for device" is on
about . But come what may, something seems to of changed the iso file attributes to that of an
text file(from the icon image rendering) which seems odd to me. I'm not particularly worried
about it, but I just don't understand what has gone on here.

Can you more learned officianardo's explain this odditiy to me ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]