Extreme newbie here......

I installed Mandrake 10 onto spare space on my main hard drive, which has XP in the first partition. Everything went fine on the Linux side - but choosing Windows from the boot options caused a freeze, with a flashing cursor on black screen. The XP recovery console couldn't cope with the Linux partitions being in the FAT, so I ended up with a complete repartition, reformat and reinstall of XP. Not wanting to go through that twice, is there anything I should be doing with Mandrake other than following the default setup?