Hoyt Bailey wrote:

On Friday 09 April 2004 06:23, John Richard Smith wrote:

Andrew Archibald wrote:

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 23:19, John Richard Smith wrote:

cd /mnt/win_c2/downloads2
downloads2]# ls -a
./   dnloads/  .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso*
../ .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso.segments*

I've no idea why there is a '.' at the start of these file names or
what the '.segments' file is for. I imagine they are partially
downloaded copies? What download client did you use to get them?

NT or D4X, as it's now known.

Now the interesting thing about this iso file is that it has
acquired "text file" icon status, when it was "unknown" icon
status.

What is "text file" icon status? Is this in a graphical file
manager?

Yes, Konqueror.

The 'ls' command doesn't produce anything I'd describe as icons!

No I should of made that clearer.

could you give a bit more detail on what you're seeing to worry
you?

If you are worried about the integrity of a file (and I probably
would be given the weird naming) then the authoritative way to test
the file is using 'md5sum' ('man md5sum' for details) which will
compute an MD5 message digest. You then have to compare to the one
on the mandrake download site- if they match you have the file in
it's entirety, ready to burn to CD.

A.

No, I am not concerned here with the integrity of the file , not in
terms of bytes , but in konqueror the icon that represents the file
has changed from the usual "unknown" with a question mark, to the
text file icon with a pencil over a page background, and I believe
whatever is assigning this attribute to the file is doing it wrong.
But as you previous email says the mandrake iso file is stored on a
fat32 partition at the moment, I can change that if necessary, but
something changed the attributes of the file to give the wrong Iso
file icon to that file, I am probably worrying for nothing , but I'm
curious to understand what has actually happened to the iso file to
make this happen and indeed what I can do to correct it if any thing
can be done at all. If you like I could move the file to an ext2
partition and work on it there , but is that really necessary ?

You see for one thing the iso file , if it were burnt to CD as an iso
file might have some errors in it's attributes ?

Also if I attempt to write the contents of the iso file to CD is
there a risk that the writer may have problems understanding what
it's got to do ? I expect the writer simply reads the file endings
and so .iso means it will set about writing the content of the iso
file, if instructed ,to disc, but can this lead to problems if the
original iso file itself has incorrect attributes assigned to the
file in terms of what choice of Icon is used to represent it.I don't
know. I'm Just currious, and don't really understand the basis of the
rules that govern the matter. That is why I originally set about
trying to find a programme that changes the attributes of files, not
realizing that I had the file on a fat32 partition at the time.Daft
of me I know, but we all make mistakes.But even if I do move the iso
file to an ext2 partition, will the chattr programme give me the
means to change the icon attributes back to the customary
questionmark icon. I don't know how to do that, and even after
reading man chattr I still don't understand how to do that.

sorry to labour the points.

But I'm still interested to learn a bit more if I can.

John

John

1. I am more of a newbie than you.
2. Windows determines the file type from the .ext, it is my understanding that linux does not.
3. Might it be possible that a file on a fat32 FS would be accepted by linux as a text file since it hasn't been classified by linux

Indeed that was my first thought, having been as it were brought up on windblows before coming to linux, but the same fat 32 partition hosts other .iso files where the icon is the usual question mark type and not a text file icon. So therefore I concluded, rightly or wrongly that it is the attributes of the file itself that are calling the shots as to it's file type and icon choice under konqueror.The upshot being that something, I don't know what, has changed the attributes of the .iso file itself and no matter how much konqueror may know it's an iso file it is being told to display a text file icon by the nature of the now bastardized file attributes ,itself. I conclude that there must be additional layers of attributes that are assigned to files and that access to them must be yet another proceedure.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]