On Friday 09 Apr 2004 5:43 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Andrew Archibald wrote:
> >On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 14:13, John Richard Smith wrote:
> >>So essentially , as far as icon display is concerned it is almost
> >>certainly going to be  a viewer setting problem.
> >
> >Yep, suppose that's the long & short of it! It all boils down to two
> >lines! I think there is such a thing as "extended file attributes"
> > which allow such things as file type & icons to be embedded but I
> > really know nothing about them and I don't think they are
> > implemented. If anyone knows more then I'd be interested to hear
> > about it...
> >
> >Glad to be of help.
> >
> >A.
>
> Andrew,
> I think I spoke a bit to soon.
> I noticed that although this MD10 iso file had a text file icon in
> Konqueror , when I switched to another iso file on the same partition
> it displays the icon with the usual iso question mark icon, and so
> therefore I draw the conclusion that the file's own attributes much
> be governing the choice of konqueror's icon choice.
>
> So then I decided to transfer the file over to an ext2 partition and
> did this,
>
> lsattr -RVadlv .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso
> lsattr 1.23, 15-Aug-2001 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> 147311 .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso -----
>
> Which doesn't seem to be telling me a lot.
>
> I'm guessing there is a lot more to this question of attributes
> I think there must be another level up from this.
> what does anyone else think ?

Try the "file" command on both ISOs. Is it possible that you transfered
the bad one in ASCII mode rather than Binary mode? If so konquerer
could be identifying it as text. Or it might be that it just happens to
have some magic sequence of bytes, such as no bytes above 127 in the
first bit of the file.

--
Richard Urwin