On Saturday 10 April 2004 04:08 am, Aron Smith wrote:
> On Friday 09 April 2004 11:49 pm, Rory wrote:
> > So, I'm just starting to set up urpmi for the first time. Good timing
> > with all the mirrors down, eh? :)
> >
> > I've set up the Updates, as active mirrors seem to exist for them.  Is it
> > okay to set up multiple FTP sites for one source?  In this case, updates.
> > I'm doing it in hopes that:
> > 1) if one site is down, the other will be okay.
> > 2) if one site is slightly out of date, the other may be more current.
>
> Works for me

me too,,, but it ought to be noted that you need a slightly different name for
each source,,, so main, main1, contrib, contrib1, (etc)

> > Good strategy or not? Does this set up potential conflicts?
>
> longer update time
really should be on unlimited broadband for this, as each update will want to
read the list of files in each mirro before updating, which for me runs about
19 megs for each main source, and 23 megs for each contrib source.

> > Secondly, I'm still deciding if I'm going to stay with Stable or
> > Community when the mirrors are back up next week.  In the short term, is
> > it prudent just to update everything from "stable/official" first?

> > Or, will going straight to CE (I'm not going to do cooker)
well,, in very many ways, CE is cooker,,, at least until stable comes out, so
don't let that scare you

> > cover
> > everything under Official and bring me further along, rendering updating
> > from stable first as a pointless excercise?
seems pointless to me... a lot of changing sources but then again,,, I like to
run cooker,,,kinda gives me an excuse to have so much computing power.

> > Any other suggestions or tips for a newbie?
>
> Watch out it is addictive :-D

VERY addictive,,, much agreed

--
linux counter #167806