On Monday 12 April 2004 04:39 am, Richard Urwin wrote:
> On Monday 12 Apr 2004 11:21 am, Aron Smith wrote:
> > On Monday 12 April 2004 01:47 am, John Wilson wrote:
> > > On April 11, 2004 07:39 pm, Marc wrote:
> > > .
> > >
> > > In the vast majority of cases two grounds will simply, as you say,
> > > make things worse.
> >
> > Can't see that electricity is going to follow Ohms law and go the
> > path of least resistance so 2 grounds would be  (r1+r2)/(r1*r2) =Rt
>
> There are two things wrong with this.
> Firstly, ground is not a perfect conductor. Many cows die because their
> feet are different distances from a lightning strike, creating a
> voltage of several thousand volts across the length of the cow. There
> will be a similar voltage between your two earth rods.
A potential difference is one thing but as you know This is mostly skin
effects. the key is proper grounding and having 2 grounds is preferable to
having 1 ground that makes sharp turns eg 90 deg
Lighting strikes start at the ground and travel up. thats why a lighting rod
has a pointy tip to bleed off the potential.

> Secondly, lightning is high frequency and unimaginably high voltage. It
> behaves in strange ways that are still imperfectly understood.
>
> In addition it may create an earth loop, which is basically an antenna.
> (My HiFi used to pick up Radio Moscow until I removed one of the
> earths.) Your earth wiring could pick up an induced voltage from a
> nearby lightning strike and fry equipment that would otherwise be safe.
You had a n imperfect ground also known as a rectifying ground thats basic
radio theory
For a good coverage of this subject I recommend "The ARRL Radio Amateur's
Handbook"