On Friday 16 April 2004 01:02 pm, Rory wrote:
> Last week I had a similar problem after an upgrade.  My ADSL>PPPoE settings
> wouldn't hold on reboot, killing my internet connection each time I booted.
>
> The only way I've been able to get it to hold, since, is to choose
> Cable>DHCP. Oddly, it works on my ADSL line and oddly the settings hold on
> reboot. So, I'm not mucking with it.
>

> Between that issue, my soundcard and being unable to activate my network
> printer, not to mention losing mouse control on start-up a couple of times,
> MDK 10.0 really isn't ready for prime time yet for newbies switching over
> from MS.  It also needs to automatically install flash-compatible plug-ins,
> java for internet sites and mplayer macromedia plug-ins so internet use is
> fully functional on install.  Installing after the fact just isn't fluid
> enough yet to not sort these things out beforehand.  And automatically
> doing permanent mounts for your LAN on install would also be useful.  If
> that means adding a couple of options on install, so people who don't want
> these things can avoid them, that's fine.
>
> If that's not its target market for this product, then that's fine.  But,
> it appears to be sending all the signals that it wants to be that type of
> product.  And for the sake of marketshare, it needs to be.
>
> It appears MDK needs a couple of more cycles before these very basic and
> fundamental hardware and software configurations become routine on install.
> I hope it's a priority.
>
> That said, I love MDK, I've learned a tremendous amount in a few weeks, I
> have high regard for its open development approach.  It's a good product
> and I'm sticking with it!
>
> Rory

    For what it is worth this is definatly a issue that seems to only affect
upgrades. I just did a clean install in a seperate hard drive on the same
machine and everything works perfect!!!!  Not that I am a expert but 10.0 is
definatly by far the best linux release that I have ever seen although it
looks like I will have to back up some files and then do a clean install to
get my ADSL working right.  Oh well upgrades always are a bit risky.

   Marc