On Saturday 17 April 2004 9:19 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 17 April 2004 08:27, Keith Powell wrote:
> > Reading through the recent posts, it appears that many on the list
> > who have broadband (lucky lot!!) and have downloaded version 10(CE)
> > or version 10 (Official) are having  problems. There seem to be many
> > "bugs" still in them.
> >
> > My question, and it is a serious one, is:
> >
> > When the boxed sets come out in a few weeks time, will they still be
> > buggy, or will the bugs have been sorted?
>
> As I undertand it, 'Official' is what will be in the boxed sets.
>
> > Or would it be better to
> > wait several weeks before buying, if this means that all the updates
> > to sort these bugs out are available on CD?
>
> The greatest number of bugs have been ironed out between CE and
> Official.  There are, of course, always bug fixes to follow.
>
> > Alternatively, I could buy the download edition on cheap CDs, and use
> > that as a test to see how things are beforebuying the boxed set.
>
> - From Mandrake's point of view, buying the cheapies and subscribing to
> the club is much better than buying direct from MandrakeSoft.  They get
> all of club money, but only a bit from sales.
>
> Anne

A very good suggestion, Anne.

There is one thing, which I am hoping that you, or anyone else with a greater
knowledge of Mandrakesoft than I, can answer.

I assume that the "cheap" CDs I would buy from, for instance, The Libranet
Emporium, would be the download edition.  If I remember correctly, it was
mentioned on the list some time ago that the download edition will have
adverts which will pop up at any time. This inconvenience is to help
'persuade' us to buy the boxed sets, which will be free of them.

Is this correct, or am I dreaming it? Knowing me, it is probably the latter!

Any information will be greatfully received.

Many thanks

Keith