Thanks to all who replied.

Here is a composite reply instead of wasting bandwidth with individual ones.
Hope no one minds!

Anne suggested waiting a couple of weeks for the "Official" download edition
to be available.  I'll do that, Anne.

Thanks for the information that there are not the pop-up adverts I wondered
about in the download edition. False alarm!!

I always first burn my home directory to a CD and then do a clean install
rather than an upgrade. For me, it is much safer than risking an upgrade -
although others get away with it.

In the past and, I assume for version 10, an individually burnt CD with all
the updates/bug patches to the date of ordering it, has been available from:

        www.linuxemporium.co.uk

I have bought them several times and they have saved me much time, trouble and
cost, trying to download the updates with my modem.

Thanks again, all, for your replies.

Keith