On Wed, 03 Nov 1999, you wrote:

> This directly from the web page above. Download links are on the page.
>
> Adaptive Server Enterprise for Linux version 11.0.3.3 continues
> to be offered as a free, unsupported release for development as
> well as deployment. Adaptive Server Enterprise for Linux version
> 11.0.3.3 is available from the Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise
> for Linux version 11.0.3.3 download web page.
>
> Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.9.2 is offered FREE for development
> from the Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.9.2 download web page.
> You can purchase support even if you download the free development
> copy. You can get the software on CD with printed copy of Installation
> guide for $99 from Sybase sales. To deploy Adaptive Server Enterprise
> for Linux version 11.9.2 on a production box, contact Sybase sales
> at 1-800-8SYBASE.

Yeah....and if it's free for download for "development" how long does
it take to make sure that Sybase is going to stand up over the
long-haul, including upgrading the Linux kernel, etc? ;-)
I know....you're supposed to pay for it if you use it
long-term....but as with any other "shareware" program how many
people are actually going to "register" their shareware??? ;-)
        John