On Saturday 17 April 2004 12:25 pm, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Saturday 17 April 2004 21:07, Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I do believe that we will gradually win
> > people over, but the battle is far from won.
>
> </snip>
>
> I'm very confident you're right, Anne.  -  However, I sometimes get
> this strange and forbidden feeling : What happens when everybody
> changes over ? - Or, to rephrase : when everybody scuttles their
> Volkswagens and drive Ferraris, what joy do I have with my
> Ferrari ?
>
> ;-)
>
> Kaj Haulrich.

I switched my wife's machine to Mandrake 2 years ago.  There was a LOT of
kicking and screaming, but guess what?  Within a couple of days she was used
to it and found that she can do anything in KDE that she could do with
Windows, except become infected by the worms that are constant headaches for
her friends.  Her address is on the internet because of the volunteer work
she does for a national organization, and SA is a godsend for her inbox, too.
She's as happy as can be running a real OS, and when she's happy, so am I.  A
couple of months ago, she was talking to a friend who was thinking of
switching away from Windows, and she said, "It's really easy to use--it must
be if I can do it without any problems".  For 99% of the people using
computers, it is a matter of word processing, e-mail and web surfing, so for
99% of the users Linux would be the best choice.  Don't let anyone tell you
different--Linux is not only ready for the desktop, it is the best desktop.
Hardware is the only issue, but if you choose your hardware with the intent
to run Linux, even that is moot.

e,