On Tuesday 20 April 2004 18:20, Travis Crook wrote:
> Hi All,
>       I am trying to get sound to work on my box.  I am running 10.0CE
> (very nice by the way).  It has solved some issues that I had with
> 9.2 but now I cannot get sound to play nice.
>
> I have an Abit NV7-133R motherboard with the nforce chipset.  It has
> the nforce audio processor built-in.  It's default driver should be
> i810_audio, which is what I have it set to.  I ran the
> troubleshooting commands given from MCC.  Here is the output.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIO
> unknown         : Nvidia Corporation|nForce MCP Audio Processing Unit
> (Dolby Digital) [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:10de device:01b0 subv:10de
> subd:0c11)
> i810_audio      : Nvidia Corporation|nForce Audio Codec Interface
> [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:10de device:01b1 subv:147b subd:0000)
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] grep sound-slot /etc/modules.conf
> alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /sbin/lsmod
> {snip}
> i810_audio             31860  3
> ac97_codec             17804  1 i810_audio
> soundcore               9248  4 i810_audio
> {snip}
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /sbin/chkconfig --list sound
> sound           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /sbin/chkconfig --list alsa
> alsa            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] aumix -q
> bash: aumix: command not found
>
> (How do I install this?  I've got alsa-utils on my system but I don't
> know what it's for!)

Alsa-utils contains alsamixer for the ALSA soundsystem, but you are
using the OSS driver. You can, as root, install aumix with 'urpmi
aumix' :) If applications 'appear' to play but there is no sound it's
most likely to be a problem with mixer settings.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp
>
>                      USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/dsp             quickbeam  16347 f....  ut2004-bin
>
> (Yes, I like to play UT! But, I don't have sound anywhere - not in
> UT, xmms, kaffeine, etc.)

If you kill UT the OSS /dev/dsp device should be free for another sound
application.

> Where do I go from here?  Any suggestions would be, as always, most
> appreciated!

HTH,

    -Frans