On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 04:56:42PM +0100, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Saturday 24 Apr 2004 14:26, Todd Slater wrote:
> > I'm trying to make my own livecd but I've got some embarassing gaps in
> > my knowledge. I've never messed with my kernel, and Texstar recommends
> > not using the default 9.2 kernel. So, I downloaded and installed the tmb
<snip>
> > Finally, I'm building the livecd on a computer without a cd burner so I
> > have to somehow get the iso to another computer. I've got a "network"--a
> > dlink router--but I don't see any way to easily "see" the other
> > computer. I could use scp, but I'm sure there's got to be an easier way.
> > In my network and internet section of mcc (9.1) I've just got
> > drakconnect, drakproxy, and drakgw. Should I have another package for
> > this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Todd
>
> If you use KDE then 'fish' is a really convenient way of transferring files
> around.
> http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/kio_fish.html
>
> (OK Joe we know what you think of KDE. In which case you can use gftp in much
> the same way by selecting ssh protocol)
>
> Good luck with the livecd  I was going to try it myself, so I woill be
> interested to hear how you get on.
>
> derek

Thanks, I got impatient so I just used scp and I was amazed at how
fast it was.

I burned my first livecd and it more or less worked. It wouldn't work
well on my old computer with only 64MB RAM, but worked fine on a laptop
with more RAM, except for the nVidia driver issue.

I think I've figured out the RAM issue (the documentation for mklivecd
is *really* sparse and I've been scouring the archives). The only
problem now is that 9.2 won't honor my boot settings (auto login a guest
user). I'm hitting the mdk archives now to see if I can find a solution
for that, unless anybody knows off the top of their head...

Todd