I've tried another monitor (an old CRT), removing my TV card and tried different RAM chips, however, it still gives the same jail screen. With the CRT I see "Starting mandrake...." or something like that for a fraction of a second before the jail pattern appears. I'm out of ideas...

Both monitors were connected to an ATI Radeon 9000 Mac edition with two digital ports. On one I have an AppleDigitalConnector to VGA converter to connect both VGA PC displays (Apple's displays are too expensive :-). I wonder if that could be the problem...

-Leen

So it can be the monitor indeed... Thanks for the info, I'll try another one. The monitor doesn't detect if my mac turns it off to save energy (it displays "No signal" and then turns on standby, so no problem with that on Mac OS). Maybe linux doesn't like that.

-Leen