On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 05:16, JoeHill wrote:
> On Thu, 06 May 2004 04:48:33 +1000
> Stephen Kuhn disseminated the following:
>
> > We've got two years to work on linux and the desktop.
>
> How much easier can it get?! For the majority of users, whose greatest demand on
> their desktop is maybe getting their scanner or digital camera to work, we're
> already there. With products like Xandros and Libranet out there, and of course
> Mandrake, you plonk down 60 or 70 bucks and you've got a *fully functional and
> easy to use desktop* (well, okay, no Shockwave <grumble>).
>
> ...as long as these users never have to deal with fscking Sympa...I'll never see
> this, guaranteed, though the archives show all my posts getting through.

Here's something that customers consider:
WindowsXP Pro - $319 AUD
Labour to set it up - $110

Linux - free
Labour to set it up - $110

Not only do they get all their stuff (and additions), but they get two
office suites (OpenOffice and KOffice), but all the other bits and bobs
and they can even rip DVD's and do MP3's and Ogg's, burn stuff (K3b and
Arson); never be bothered by viruses, have a firewall, do chatting
(GAIM) and IRC (X-Chat)...at least folks here THINK about the money
value...and especially as of late linux is looking pretty damn good for
some users...

One of my customers - a woman that writes books and studies Irish
literature (yes, there IS Irish literature) is moving over because her
work is being threatened by the consistent appearance of viruses...so
being that her needs are to write documents and nothing more, she's
converting from Windows to MDK because she can't be down, and can't deal
any longer with the update/upgrade path as laid by M$...(and she's tired
of panicking).

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
Educational television should be absolutely forbidden. It can only lead
to unreasonable disappointment when your child discovers that the
letters of the alphabet do not leap up out of books and dance around
with royal-blue chickens. -- Fran Lebowitz, "Social Studies"