Hello Dennis,

DM> On Wednesday 05 May 2004 08:49 pm, rikona wrote:
>> The md5's on the disks are OK, and they seemed to work during
>> install, but the install program seemed to be rather confused. It
>> asked for a disk, but when I inserted it, it asked for a different
>> one, and then a different one, and so on, never seeming to find
>> what it needed.
>>
>> Any ideas to get 10.0 running would be much appreciated. Also would
>> like to get the CD running again, too. :-)
>>
>> Did I encounter, perhaps, the two extremes in installing Mandrake? :-)

DM> It sounds to me like a hardware problem.  Can you put a different
DM> CDrom drive  perhaps?

I might be able to find an old 2-4X one that got replaced, but never
thrown away. :-)

Still, it seems an odd coincidence that the CD would fail right after
the first boot of MD. The tray opens up right after power-on, well
before MD loads, and even before the BIOS completes. During the
install, the CD behaved normally, and was happy to stay closed with a
CD in place, and the BIOS booted from the CD. Any idea why the CD is
so different mechanically right after the install?

I seem to remember some talk about MD zapping CD drives. Could this be
still happening?

DM> Were the disks made on a different machine

Yes.

DM> and are they the  rewritable media?

No.

DM> Some CD devices have trouble with CDRW discs.

Agreed. I'd not try that for an install.

DM> I have Installed 10 official on three different machines now with
DM> no  problem.

I'm envious. :-))

DM> One is an older AMD K6 II 333mhz machine with a 12x
DM> CDRom I think.

This is also rather old - a P2 120, Asus MBoard, Intel chip set,
Stealth 3D (S3) video, SMC network card, but has 256 Megs memory. It
will be used by a novice as a Windows replacement for email and web
surfing. No need for high performance.

DM> Good luck,

Thanks. Any other thoughts much appreciated.

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]