On May 6, 2004 01:38, Frank wrote:
> >Now there is no cs4236 driver available on the Mandrake install (though
> > there is a cs4232), but there is an snd-cs4236. I switched to that,
> > rebooted, and voila, I have sound.
> "I switched to that"
>
> How do you do that?
>
> And yeah, be as dumb instructive as you like 'cause I'm likely
> to mess it up otherwise.
>
> Ta
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Frank
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Whether big or small, any challenge requires the same commitment.

Yeah, I left out quite a few details of what I went through, because the
message was getting long as it was.

I went to System -> Configuration -> Configure your computer. This is the
infamous MCC (Mandrake Control Center, analogous to Windoze control panel).
You have to supply the root password to get in here.

Then click on Hardware. In there, click on Hardware again. It'll chug away for
a while detecting your hardware, then bring up a list of the hardware it
detected.

Assuming it found your sound card, there will be an entry under Soundcard.
Click on this and the window on the right will give you what MCC knows about
your sound card - vendor, bus location, and so on. Then click on Run Config
Tool along the bottom.

When the Sound configuration window pops up, you'll see the current driver
listed in a selection list that lets you pick the other drivers Mandrake
knows about for you card. In my case, it just listed the cs46xx and the
snd-cs46xx. But if you click on Let me pick any driver a little farther down,
it'll give you a complete list of sound card drivers that are available.
That's how I got to the snd-cs4236 driver. Once you've picked on, it'll show
up in the selection list after that.

Basically all this wizard does though is make some changes
in /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/modules.conf (I understand that it updates
both to be compatible with both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels). You can make the
changes directly if you know what you're doing. I wasn't sure, so I used the
wizard, then listed these files to see what changed.

I noticed that it had added the new lines but hadn't removed the old driver
lines. I was worried that this would mess things up, so I ended up editing
these files anyway to remove the old lines. Here's the modprobe.conf that the
wizard produced:

alias eth0 3c59x
alias sound-slot-0 snd-cs4236
install snd-cs4236 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-cs4236 &&
{ /sbin/modprobe s
nd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
install snd-cs46xx /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-cs46xx &&
{ /sbin/modprobe s
nd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe usb-uhci; /bin/true
remove snd-cs4236 { /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r
--first-time --ignore-r
emove snd-cs4236
remove snd-cs46xx { /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r
--first-time --ignore-r
emove snd-cs46xx

Notice that there are still 46xx lines in there, as well as the new 4236
lines. Here's what I edited it down to:

alias eth0 3c59x
alias sound-slot-0 snd-cs4236
install snd-cs4236 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-cs4236 &&
{ /sbin/modprobe s
nd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe usb-uhci; /bin/true
remove snd-cs4236 { /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r
--first-time --ignore-r
emove snd-cs4236

After that I rebooted (there might be a way to get the new driver in effect
without rebooting, but I don't know what it is). The error messages
in /var/log/messages went away, and my sound started working. Sort of. I
still have those stereo problems. But it's better than no sound, and possibly
the best I can expect from a six year old computer raised from the dead
(actually, the undead - I was running NT on it :^).

The Trouble shooting button will also list a few steps for trouble shooting
your sound problems. It's far from complete, but it's a good start. The only
confusing thing in there is that it tells you to run aumix, but this isn't
installed by default. You have to "urpmi alsa-utils" to get this installed
before you can run that step.

We need a "Mandrake for Dummies who were Smart Enough to Dump Windoze"
book :^).

--
Ron Hunter-Duvar
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine. Rights to use
these opinions are granted under the GNU GPL.