On May 4, 2004 04:35, Adolfo Bello wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 20:12, Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:
> > Finally got updates working with 10.0 Official. I see a completely
> > different list of mirrors now in Mandrake Update, so I guess they've
> > finally straightened that mess out.
> >
> > I updated my kernel from 2.6.3.7 to 2.6.3.9:
> > You can see that the initrd.img and vmlinuz links have been updated. But
> > config and System.map still point to the old files, even though new ones
> > have been installed. Also, kernel.h doesn't even have a new version.
> >
> > Now being my first kernel upgrade, and not knowing exactly what role
> > these different files play, these inconsistencies scare me. What do the
> > config and System.map files do? Why do I not have an updated kernel.h?
> >
> > Most importantly, is it safe to boot up to this new kernel with this
> > configuration?
> >
> > Any experienced kernel upgraders out there who can help me out?
>
> Boot the new kernel. I guess those files and links are created after the
> kernel is booted.

You were right, the other links got updated during boot. Whew! Thanks. I was a
little unnerved about my first kernel upgrade, but it couldn't have gone any
smoother.

> If you have any problem, you can reboot to the kernel you are working
> with now.

Yeah, I was just afraid it might trash something (since those links were
pointing to the wrong files, I thought it might overwrite something in the
old kernel). My mind's been poisoned by the Windoze world (I keep rebooting
when I don't need to, just to be safe :^).

--
Ron Hunter-Duvar
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine. Rights to use
these opinions are granted under the GNU GPL.