-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Raffaele BELARDI
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] 10.0 slower than 9.2?

John Drouhard wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 09:55 +0200, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
>
>>Simple test: same movies that in 9.2 played fine and smooth in 10.0 skip
>>LOTS of frames
 >
> What video card do you have? If it's an nvidia card, you might need to

Nope, it's an ATI Radeon 7xxx (don't remember exact model).

>>Next I will try installing the 9.2 version of mplayer into 10.0, just to
>>rule out kernel issues. If it doesn't do the job, I'll have to go back
>>to 9.2 :-(
>
> Don't install the 9.2 version of mplayer on 10.0, there will be
> dependency problems.

Yes, I tried and gave up due to the dependencies issues (didn't want to
spend too much time on it). Now I'm back to 9.2 :-(

>>accessing a CD
>>in 10.0 eats up all CPU, while in 9.2 it was only using a small fraction
>>- like if it was not using DMA, but DMA is enabled for all drives.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the default mandrake kernels not
> include dma support? If they do, then I'm not sure what to do about the

You are wrong :-) My understanding is that MDK (or the Linux kernel, not
sure which) enables DMA for a drive by default, then disables it if it
detects errors on drive access. On my other box, a 10.0 system, hdparm
reports DMA enabled for the HDs, disabled for the CDROM (an old drive
which I suspect does not support it).

>>I remember somebody defining 10.0 "speed daemon" so I was quite
>>negatively impressed by my results. Has anybody noticed such bad
>>performance?
>
> It is a speed "daemon" :). No but really, its fast.

Ok, demon :-). Anyway, I have to confirm my first impression. The 10.0
box is slower to react to GUI, slower to rip CDs, slower to mp3-encode
them. Not much, but it can be appreciated. BTW, I got a confirmation on
the first web article I googled: 2.6 better for server, equal or less
than 2.4 for dektop. (http://www.2cpu.com/articles/98_1.html)

bye,

raffaele

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
This message, and any associated attachment is confidential.  If you have recieved
it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or disclose the information
in any way, and notify either the sender or [EMAIL PROTECTED] immediately.
The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not necessarily
the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless specifically stated.  Whilst every
effort has been made to ensure that emails and their attachments are virus free, it is
the responsibility of the recipient(s) to verify the integrity of such emails.
Business Computer Projects Ltd
BCP House
151 Charles Street
Stockport