----- Original Message -----
From: "Aron Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] recording records to hard drive

> On Monday 17 May 2004 02:28 pm, eric jackson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to record some of my old record albums to my hard drive. I've
> > tried using Gramofile but I didn't get great results and it isn't being
> > developed anymore.
> >
> > Anybody know of software I can try for this?
> I'm using audicity myself (line level output on amp (tape monitor)

I do have Audacity installed. I'm just guessing but unless I missed
something, you have to record each song seperately or record one large wav
and then edit it.

Gramofile, certainly not  a very fancy looking program, will record the lp
as one big wav file. It then has a function that is supposed to identify the
number of tracks in that wav file. I've only tried it 3 times but the
results weren't good. The original author hasn't worked on this program in
several years but I did find a Mandrake RPM. There is a patched version by
someone else that you can compile.
Yesterday I found a program on the DVD that came with the May 2004 issue of
Linux Format called wavsilence. It's supposed to break up a large wav file
into seperate tracks also. It doesn't have the ability to record the
original wav so you have to use another program for that. I couldn't get
wavsilence to work. Basically, I ended up with another big wav file with
another name.

 Eric Jackson

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----