Asa Rossoff wrote:

The log activity you posted doesn't indicate it.  Those are all network
packets that Shorewall dropped -- that didn't get in.. it's normal to have
this activity, generated either by hackers checking for security holes or
worms and whatnot.

Asa

On Mandrake 9.2, installed on a server which isn't running X, I'm getting this exact type of data appearing on my display, even before anyone logs onto the server - locally OR remotely!

Is there any way to stop this, or is this a warning that my system's been hit? This is a fresh install which I finished this morning, so I'd appreciate any thoughts before I start depending on it.

Also, is there a "Bind" Guru here somewhere? I can't get "rndc" to behave itself. It keeps giving me an error that states -

              "rndc: connect failed: connection refused"

Even though Bind seems to start up without errors, and even though port 53 is open on my firewall for DNS authentication, port scans keep stating that the port is closed.

This is the first time I've ever had these two problems, and I'm curious to find out what's different between this 9.2 install, and the hundreds I've done before!

TIA

Lanman