On Friday 21 May 2004 22:53, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:26:47 +0100
>
> Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You probably need an audio cable.
> > http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/audio_cd.html
>
> Derek, thanks for the reply, but I doubt that is it.  If you reread
> my original message, I do here the CD if I use the Totem media
> player. Only when I try CD Player (gnome) or xmms do I not hear
> anything.  The fact that it works with Totem means the hardware is
> okay.
>
> > derek

Uhm, if you read http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/audio_cd.html you
will see you can get audio using the analog audio cable or the IDE
cable; in the later case the digital/analog conversion is done on the
soundcard. Derek's site mentions Totem as an application that uses the
IDE interface so that works without the audio cable.

HTH,

    -Frans