Aron Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> On Sunday 23 May 2004 03:51 am, Asa Rossoff wrote:
> > From: "Aron Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> > > i have a laptop here that belongs to a friend it is dead no OS
> > > i do not have a floppy for it  I have set the BIOS to boot off the
floppy
> > > drive. I need tom get mandrake on this box (hey she's cute)
> > > Laptop is a Toshibatecra 550cdt any way to force it to read the CD?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure you need to have one boot device or another :)
> >
> > I take it there is no option in the bios to boot from CD ?
> There is and I have reset it ,but I dont think that there is enough left
on
> the HD to even allow that.

I wouldn't think the contents of the harddrive would matter.  Some older
cd-rom drives don't read all CD-R's well, though... I think particularly the
bluish ones.  If you have a commercially produced bootable cd-rom of any
kind, you could try that, and determine if it's just not reading the
Mandrake CD.

If you have access to another comperable laptop, you could swap the
harddrive into that one and install from there, or at least install a boot
manager such as "Smart Boot Manager" to the MBR on the drive, which can boot
the CD-Rom.

Asa