--- Greg Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Monday 24 May 2004 12:09 am, Thomas Wilkowski
> wrote:
> > Mandrake10 . I got all settled in and prepared to
> copy
> > and transfer away. Wow! I never thought it would
> be
> > such a process.
>
> I am not going to address any of the problems you
> laid out because I have had
> the most success doing this in a different way.  It
> involves duplicating the
> file system using cp with the -a switch, which
> maintains all datestamps and
> file permissions (I think it stands for archive)
> I'll describe it to you and
> see what you think.
>
> First create your partitions as you have done.  Then
> create a temporary
> mounpoint.  I use something like /mnt/newdrive.
> Mount the new root partition
> at /mnt/newdrive and then create mountpoints for
> your other partitions there,
> I think you had /usr and /home.  So you would now
> mount your new /usr
> and /home at /mnt/newdrive/usr and
> /mnt/newdrive/home.
>
> Now you can simply copy over the existing file
> system using cp -a.  I do it
> one directory at a time to make sure everything goes
> smoothly.
>
> cp -a /boot /mnt/newdrive
>
> cp -a /etc//mnt/newdrive
>
> etc., etc.
>
> After you are done, make any modifications you need
> to your /etc/fstab and
> make sure that you can boot to the new drive by
> adding an entry to it in your
> exiting lilo.conf.  Once you are booted to the new
> filesystem, then you can
> convert to using its LILO by setting up the
> lilo.conf and re-running lilo
> from the new filesystem.
> --
> /g

Thanks alot! Your detailed explanation made it very
easy to understand. There are a few questions though
about the 'cp' command. When I read about it over the
weekend I was unsure of two ellements:
1. Does 'cp' maintain the integrity of exacutable
files?
2. Will 'cp' work if the destination partition is
larger than the source partition?

I gather from your description that "Yes" answers both
questions. One question more. At what point do I make
the new "hd" the master? After I boot onto in from the
current drive's boot-loader and deal with /ect/fstabs,
or do I deal with it straight away using the rescue
disk to install a boot-loader?

Thanks again for your thought and clarity.

tsw