Robert Walker wrote:
Hello all,

I was trying to increase the security of my Linux box (famous last
words). I am running Mandrake 9.2 set for console login (run level 3).

I was reading an article about stopping root logins for
Red Hat Linux (v8.0)... Decided to follow the suggestions. This turned
out to be a really bad move :-)

Anyhow I am now in the situation where I have ended up with:
/etc/securetty                  which is blank (dumb)
/etc/ssh/sshd_config            which disallows root logins (good)

I have KDE, X and tightvnc installed but I am not currently using them.

I can't 'su' root to execute a command/change to root or login as root either with a
remote
secure shell or a local shell!! I just get the message:
"This account is currently not available."
So I can't even copy the old securetty~ file back...

Do I need to reinstall everything again (would not be fun given the amount
of hassle I had setting it all up - especially the driver for the PCI
ADSL modem and kernel customisations) and start from scratch??
Is there any other way of getting root access apart from <login> and
<su>??

Is there anyway to boot from a CD to get root access back?? Or some
other solution (possibly mounting the hard disk on another box with
Linux installed)??

I usualy keep on of the floppy or CD mini-distributions around for things like this. The other option is to boot by feeding the kernel the option "init=/bin/bash". (append="init=/bin/bash") This will boot you directly to the bash shell, bypassing most of the security of the system. You will want to reboot after fixing things.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!