Hi Guys,

I have a small problem I'd like to get some advice on.

I'm expected to repair a server that was delivered some time back, and it had a fried motherboard.

The CPU in the system is an Athlon 1.2gig (Thunderbird).

So I went to my wholesalers, and all they are selling now is Nforce2 and SIS boards.

The SIS boards are the cheapie boards with 3 PCI slots, no AGP, only two memory slots etc etc..

The Nforce2 boards are fully featured and even have SATA raid...

I don't care about the onboard ethernet, I can plug in one of the cards I have here with no issues.
I don't care about sound or graphics, sound is irrelivant, and video is easily provided by one of my old PCI vid cards if need be.

My question is: Will the chipset itself (nforce2) run ok on mandrake 9.2 and 10 ???

Also of interest to me is the SATA raid as I'd like to setup future servers to use striping/mirroring, but only if its software transparent. (So I mean is the RAID provided by these boards the same as pluggin in a SCSI raid controller such that linux will then see the drives as one, without using software raid.? ) the board specs on SATA:
Serial ATA Interface
- Support 2 serial ATA plus 1 ATA133
- RAID O or 1 is supported
- RAID function works w/ATA133+SATA H/D or 2 SATA H/D

The board I am looking at, is the top of the line MSI board.
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta-ILSR&class=mb

I plan to upgrade this machine at a later date with an XP3200+ unit..

Its important to get this machine back up as quickly as possible, which is why I am asking all these questions before buying the board.

many thanks.

regards

Franki