> Hi Paul,
> There is a utility called TestDisk that can analyze and repear disk
> partitions tables:
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

Okay, I ran testdisk, and it told me that everything is all fine and
wonderful. Only thing it told me was that the MDK rescue CD did not have
the regular partition table marker.
I then let it write a new MBR and rebooted... to see some DELL utility
that allows me to install win- don't mention it. Rebooted with the CD,
rewrote LILO and rebooted. And the problem persists...

Next thing I will try (but not today) is remove the last partition on the
disk and reboot. I'll see what gives then.

I'll keep you posted!
Paul