On Thursday 03 June 2004 00:11, brian wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 June 2004 17:49, you wrote:
> > As for the rest of your question, others may step in. To me it
> > seems that you are "not so new"  ;-)
>
> Thanks Kaj - I'm new to Linux, not to programming. It didn't
> occur to me that I'd still have the option to boot old versions
> of the kernel after an upgrade.

Well Brian, an "upgrade" will preserve your settings, not destroy
anything. The downside is, that - as you experienced - things tend
to behave oddly. Most people don't "upgrade", they "install". But
as opposed to some other operating systems, a linux "install" is
everything from a complete wipe of your system to just "upgrading"
your applications to the latest and greatest - kernel included.

If you just want to "upgrade" from - say - 9.2 to 10.0 I would
recommend :

When asked "upgrade" or "install", choose "install". Then, when
asked about formatting partitions, leave your /home as is, but
format all other partitions (exept possibly backup partitions).
That way you'll get a fresh system, but with your settings and
other private stuff preserved. A few - minor - tweaks may be needed
due to newer applications, but nothing serious.

> While I'm OK when using Kylix and
> SQL, I'm still thinking how I'd do something in Windows and then
> trying to find a parallel when it comes to the user interface. I
> posted on the newbie list because I looked at the Discuss list
> and couldn't understand most of what I read, questions or
> answers!
>
> Brian.

On this list you'll meet the most friendly (and witty) people in the
universe.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
* Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free computer *
       * http://www.haulrich.net *