brian wrote:
I upgraded my Mandrake 9.1 system to 10.0 via a net install, and I'm puzzled by some of the "after effects". I'm only just starting to play around with Linux, so don't underestimate my ignorance....

First question. I use GRUB as a boot manager, and this box only runs Linux. After the update, I find the following in the GRBU boot menu

linux
linux_nonfb
floppy
old_linux
old_linux_nonfb
263-7
2421-013
failsafe

So most of those I understand, but anyone know what the numeric entries represent?

The numeric entries are different kernels. In Mandrake 10, you have a choice of using either a series 2.4 or a series 2.6 kernel - some applications and services run best on 2.4 and some on 2.6 kernels. You seem to have at least one of each series installed.

Boot to "linux", then open a terminal and command uname -r to check which kernel you are actually running.

If everything you actually need to run works OK on that kernel, you can safely uninstall the other one(s).

I use Lilo, so someone else will have to help you with Grub configuration once you've sorted out which kernel(s) you actually need.

PS please remove the reply-to setting from your mail, so the replies go to the list and not just to you.

Margot