Eric Scott wrote:

      Yo,
 I recently backed up some stuff from on Lintel/Wintel hybrid box to another
by putting the hard disk from the first computer into the second, copying
about 250MB of data to the second HD, and then removing it.  As I semi
expected, my Mandrake Linux 9.1 OS went haywire when it realized that it's
"new secondary HD" had dissapeared again.  I've since reformatted the HD
from the first computer, so I can't just plug it back in and get Linux to
boot on the second computer.  What can I do? I have files backed up on the
second computer's Linux system, so I can't just reinstall.  If I "upgrade"
overtop of the current linux, as the installer lets u do, will it solve the
issue?  I get an error during boot about "hdd," basically telling me that it
just might not exist. (Duh, I took it out.)  But it won't boot past that.
   Any help? I'm novice to Linux, so please be basic.
       Thanx,
          ES

I would try booting with the failsafe boot option. Then edit /etc/fstab and remove any references to the second hard drive. Then reboot as normal. If failsafe doesn't boot, try booting off the install CD in the rescue mode. Or do like I do - have a bookable Linux CD that gives you a stand-alone Linux system that runs off the CD.

Mikkel