Teilhard Knight wrote:
<snip>

Thanks a lot. I think I know now how the Linux world works. It is such a surprise for me to realise I have to know by memory about hundreds of programs in order to make them work. For someone from the Windows world it is kind of disappointing. But perhaps there are ways I do not know about to check which installed programs there are, huh?

Cordially,

Teilhard

For most of the GUI tools, you can pick them from the menus. (Not all programs are in the menu's yet, but it is getting better.)

For command line tools, it is sort of like dropping to the DOS prompt, except that you have tools to help you that you don't have in DOS. Things like typing part of a command, directory name, or file name, hitting Tab, and haveing the system complete it, or offer you options on completing it. You can also scroll through the command you have entered using the up and down arrows. You can edit the commands you bring up this way, and run them again. (A great help when you type like I do!)

With most commands, you can get help by putting "--help" or "-h" after the command. You can also type "man <command name>" to get help with the commands. There is indeed a lot to learn if you want to take full advantage of the power of Linux, but you usualy don't need the command line tools to get things done. (I like them, and sometimes have to check on what the GUI tool is...)

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!