> Teilhard Knight wrote:
> <snip>
>

> > Thanks a lot. I think I know now how the Linux world works. It is such a
> > surprise for me to realise I have to know by memory about hundreds of
programs
> > in order to make them work. For someone from the Windows world it is kind of
> > disappointing. But perhaps there are ways I do not know about to check which
> > installed programs there are, huh?
> >
> > Cordially,
> >
> > Teilhard
> >
> For most of the GUI tools, you can pick them from the menus.  (Not all
> programs are in the menu's yet, but it is getting better.)
>
> For command line tools, it is sort of like dropping to the DOS prompt,
> except that you have tools to help you that you don't have in DOS.
> Things like typing part of a command, directory name, or file name,
> hitting Tab, and haveing the system complete it, or offer you options on
> completing it.  You can also scroll through the command you have entered
> using the up and down arrows.  You can edit the commands you bring up
> this way, and run them again.  (A great help when you type like I do!)
>
> With most commands, you can get help by putting "--help" or "-h" after
> the command.  You can also type "man <command name>" to get help with
> the commands.  There is indeed a lot to learn if you want to take full
> advantage of the power of Linux, but you usualy don't need the command
> line tools to get things done.  (I like them, and sometimes have to
> check on what the GUI tool is...)
>
> Mikkel

Indeed. Although most of the things you say are new to me, I can appreciate
command-line Linux is a much more powerful OS than DOS ever was. To be honest,
I feel impatient for seeing the end of the Micro$soft empire and its
blue-screen world. Maybe that's why I would like to see in Linux only
improvements over $ill Gates toys and a friendly environment. However, the more
I learn about Linux, the less I picture it like an OS for a secretary, for
example. I agree with someone who said that $ill Gates has a stronghold in his
Control Panel. But that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate the advantages of
Linux over Windows, and the speed it is evolving.

Cordially,

Teilhard

This mail sent through CWMail: http://www.crosswinds.net