----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryan Phinney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Removed secondary hard disk... now what?

> [...]
> shoulder looking at the partitions on your hard drive, so unless the
psychic
> computer tech is online, I doubt that anyone is going to be able to tell
you
> exactly what to edit in the fstab to properly remap the partitions.
>
> When you physically move a drive on a machine, the hard drive parititions
get
> renumbered according to their physical placement on the drive.  hdc
becomes
> hda, hdd becomes hdb, etc.  Without knowing exactly how the original
drives
> were partitioned and mapped, I really doubt that we can tell you how to
map
> them now.
>
> You need to try to figure out the physical placement of the partitions on
the
> drive, i.e. first ide drive on 1st ide controller is hda, first partition
is
> hda1, etc.  Once you know that, you can issue the mount command manually
from
> the rescuecd command prompt.  Assuming one ide hard drive attached to the
> primary ide controller, and root is on the first partition:
>
> mount -t reiserfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/root
>
> If you have a CD attached to the primary controller, of course, that
changes
> the mapping.  Your primary hard drive might be on the secondard controller
in
> which case it is hdc.  If the cdrom is attached first and the ide drive
> second, both on the primary ide controller, then the cd is hda and the
hard
> drive would be hdb.
>
> Once you get root mounted, you should be able to cd to /mnt/root/etc and
edit
> the fstab file.  When you edit it, you need to change the former settings
> of /dev/hd??  to the new correct settings.  Then you need to edit the
> lilo.conf file to change the parameters to point to the new devices as
well.
> Then run the command to rewrite the mbr with the altered lilo.conf
settings.
> it is in /usr/sbin but I can't recall the exact command offhand.
>
> If what I have written sounds too complex, then the best suggestion that I
can
> make to you is to reinstall Linux being careful to only format the /usr
and /
> partitions.  You should be able to reinstall without repartitioning the
drive
> and if you remember the order of the partitions, you can put everything in
> the same place and you will only have a new root and usr partition which
> should leave your data intact.
>
> If you don't remember the original partition order, then trying to remap
the
> partitions manually is going to be an issue as well.

Thanx... I'm almost ok so far.  I figured out that the local HD is hdc, and
the mandrake partition is hdc6, and I'm almost sure that the hard disk that
I put in and removed was hdd, 'cause it always stalls while trying to mount
hdd when I boot.  My problem now is getting hdc6 to mount in rescue mode...
when I try to mount to /mnt/root is says the directory doesn't exist,  and
if I try anyplace else is says: "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock
on /dev/hdc6, or too many mounted file systems"  Just to clarify I think
that this disk is find and hasn't been ruined by any "su newbie mishap" of
mine, as far as I know... :-P
     Thanx for ur help, I should only need a bit more... that reinstall is
sounding better and better all the time, but I'd like to actually say "i
killed and revived" my computer instead of "i killed and lost my computer...
again"
   ES

----