Eric Scott wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryan Phinney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Removed secondary hard disk... now what?

On Friday 11 June 2004 09:50 am, Eric Scott wrote:

Failsafe doesn't work, I already tried that. I can handle getting into
rescue mode via the CD, but how do I edit /etc/fstab and what exactly do

edit?  I'm a real novice here.
  Thanx,
    ES

<snip>

Thanx... I'm almost ok so far.  I figured out that the local HD is hdc, and
the mandrake partition is hdc6, and I'm almost sure that the hard disk that
I put in and removed was hdd, 'cause it always stalls while trying to mount
hdd when I boot.  My problem now is getting hdc6 to mount in rescue mode...
when I try to mount to /mnt/root is says the directory doesn't exist,  and
if I try anyplace else is says: "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock
on /dev/hdc6, or too many mounted file systems"  Just to clarify I think
that this disk is find and hasn't been ruined by any "su newbie mishap" of
mine, as far as I know... :-P
     Thanx for ur help, I should only need a bit more... that reinstall is
sounding better and better all the time, but I'd like to actually say "i
killed and revived" my computer instead of "i killed and lost my computer...
again"
   ES

The mount problem is probaly because there isn't a directory called /mnt/root. (A directory called root in the /mnt directory.)

One thing to try - At the boot screen, hit the Esc key. You should then get a list of boot options, and a LILO: prompt.

Type "linux init=/bin/bash". This should start Linux, and only mount the root partition. You will get a command prompt, and a limmited system. You can then edit /etc/fstab and remove the references to /dev/hdd. Then you can reboot, and all should be well. You will have to use text editor, like vi, ed, joe, ect. I like to use mc, and the editor mcedit that is part of the package...

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!