On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:00:39 -0500
The Other <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Suggestions for a package manager?  The down side is that I have a
> 56Kb Modem to use to get the updates.

Well, a package manager per se is really a database front end, and the
database is either going to be what's in /var/lib/rpm, or the equivalent
in an apt-get based system, or what have you. Other distributions have
package management systems -- for instance, apt in debian and derived
distributions, emerge for gentoo, packman for arch, and so forth. I've
heard for instance that apt is superior to what we have (urpmi) but I am
skeptical. It boils down to whether or not you have good repositories,
more than whether or not your system is apt based or urpmi based, at
least in my humble opinion :).

One person in particular has been thinking along the lines of "apt-get
Mandrake" as he puts it, saying that apt is better than urpmi. I'm not
so sure, but it's intriguing. I tried apt once on Mandrake a while ago,
and wasn't really impressed with the results. But I think my experience
was because there wasn't a good source list set up.

He also mentioned something called "synaptics" - I am not sure of the
exact spelling, since a google search gave me mostly results for some
touchpad device.