On Sat, 06 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> I want to agree with Seth here,  lets get back to Linux.  Here is a dumb
> question.  What is MESA 3.1?  The reason I keep Win98 is so I can play Quake 2

Mesa is an Open Source implimentation of OpenGL, written by one Brian Paul
while at the University of Wisconsis (tho i believe he's graduated).  According
to all the "official" literature, it can't be called "OpenGL" because it doesnt
meet the OpenGL ARBs Compliance standards (well, actually that's not true, it
just hasn't been Tested).  It is undergoing compliance examination as we speak
tho.  Also despite the fact its not officially OpenGL, all the major developers
use it (as well as the minor ones like me:) and it is being worked into XFree86
4.  Heck, i think even John Carmack is funding some of the development
(something about optimizations to the vertex transform model). So basically
until the Linux OpenGL Base is completed, Mesa is our OpenGL.  For more info,
head on over to:

www.mesa3d.org

P.S. Quake II runs really nicely under Mesa, as do many other games. . .might
not need to keep Win 98 around for games much longer!;).  ALso u might want to
give q3test a look if u havent already. . .really nice.

--

Seth Gibson
www.mp3.com/PSM0x2710