Richard Urwin wrote:
On Tuesday 15 Jun 2004 4:11 am, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

David E. Fox wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:14:04 +0100

magnet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

each file and then save each with a ".txt" suffix. Where do I start
with this?

Since the # of lines you want to remove are known, I'd suggest using the script, but use 'head' and or 'tail'. Those are designed for this purpose. sed will work too, but is more generalized. But, automation via a for loop is what you're looking at doing.

i.e. 'head -17 file0000.htm' would print all but the first 17 lines
of the file.

This does not work in 9.2 - it gives you the first 17 lines. Also tail -17 gives you the last 17 lines. Now, tail +17 will give you all but the first 17 lines. Too bad head +17 does not work.

Mikkel

According to the man page, tail +17 does what you want head +17 to do.
Not intuitive. I suggest you re-try the test that you ran above.

No, what I wanted from head +17 to do is to give me all but the last 17 lines of the file. The match for the tail +17 command. It doesn't work. When I run "head +2 test.txt" I get:

head: +2: No such file or directory

test.txt if just a small file with each line containing Line # where # in the line number. I made it for this test...

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!