On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 03:40:45PM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mark Annandale wrote:
> >Hi Guys
> >
> >I recently moved from cable Internet to adsl and am about to lose the
> >old cable suppliers smtp services. I have been pondering over setting
> >myself up with a simple mail server, using my mandrake box. What I
> >require is:-
> >
> >pop mail for 3 users smtp service for above
> >
> >I have a dynamically assigned IP address which I believe is not too
> >much problem using no-ip.com or similar, however looking at the gumph
> >about postfix and sendmail I'm not sure if I've not bitten off more
> >than I could chew.
> >
> >Does anyone have an easier solution for a mail server, or is there an
> > extremelly simple how to floating about.
> >
> >King regards
> >

> >Mark A
> >

> Mark,
>   Before you do a lot of work setting up a SMPT server, make sure you
> are allowed to run a mail server on your ADSL connection.  Some ISPs
> block incomming port 25 connections to anything but their own mail
> servers.  Some also block outgoing mail servers, but you may be able to
> relay through their mail server.  You may have to do this anyway, if the
> IP block your ISP uses for dynamic IP address is listed as a dialup IP
> block in the SPAM blocking lists.
>   If you can run a mail server, Postfix is not that bad a mail server to
> set up.  The default setup, with a couple of minor changes, will
> probably work for you.  The mail change will be to set up the relay
> through your ISPs mail server...

I used to use my Mandrake box for a mail server until I realized that
ISP's were blocking my mail because its IP is in a range of dynamic
IP's. Now I mostly use my ISP's mail accounts and relay through its
servers. Once I told postfix to use the ISP for relay, people started
getting my mail again. However, I think I still have problems with
people who use AOL and excite.

Todd