Thanks for the response, unfortunately it did not work. After booting
expert and choosing the aic7xxx_old driver I had the same problem.
Note: Booting with kernel 2.6 renders an error loading the module or
something like that.
Anyway, with the alt1 image (kernel 2.4) I could get as far as freezing
while trying to detect the HDs but this time I could see some response
of what it was trying to do:
(scsi0:0:0:1) Device reset, message buffer in use
SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 1) timed out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
SCSI host abort (pid 1) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0

These messages repeated over and over till I gave up. Btw, Suse 9 is
working perfectly and uses version 6.2.36 of the aic7xxx driver, which
is quite recent so I am not sure if it is related to the driver.

Appreciate any help,
Bernardo de Barros Franco