On  6 Nov, M L Cates wrote:
> I have a second backup hard drive on my system . I made a second
> partition on it using FIPS.
>
> How do I (1) get linux to recognize it and (2) how do I reformat it for
> linux.

Probably.  A good way to find out is to run `fdisk -l /dev/hdd` (must
be run as root) which will list all the partitions on hdd (the secondary
slave hard drive).

To change things, try running `cfdisk /dev/hdd`.  This partition editor
is a little easier to use for newbies than fdisk.  You can't do quite
as much, but I'm sure it will suffice for your purposes.

I'll bet FIPS created a FAT16 or FAT32 partition.  Linux can see this
fine, but if you want to preserve file permissions and ownership,
you'll want e2fs on that partition.  The quick way to do this is change
it's type to Linux in cfdisk, then run `mkfs /dev/hdd2` ... replacing
hdd2 with the real partition name.
--
     -Matt Stegman
     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>