Stephen Kuhn wrote:
On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 23:00, Lanman wrote:

Stephen Kuhn wrote:

I set aside an 18gb SCSI to install 10.0 OE on - a clean install - so
that I can still work/serve with my 9.1 until I get it completely up to
snuff prior to cutting over (I love having a back-out plan, ya know?)

Meanwhile, I'm going to have to get my modem going with 10.0 OE prior to
being able to completely do the switch. I noticed (on the last boot into
linux-enterprise) that I'm going to have to install some extra "kernel"
stuff that doesn't necessarily pertain to the kernel I THINK I'm using
(ain't it supposed to be kernel 2.6.3???); so, being that I didn't spend
a heck of alot of time in there on the last boot, what's the gig?

Everything else seems to work great - NVidia found itself, Audigy works
like a champ, everything APPEARS to be happening correctly - all except
the modem...but that I understand...

SO, with that said, what light can be shed?

stephen kuhn - proprietor

Also found this,...

http://linmodems.org/

Lanman

Thanks Lanman - for all the links and the time it took - but sorry to
say I've already been that route and have been pointing out two of those
links for several years to "noobs" already - I just keep ending up at
the Linuxant site where I'm prompted to pay for a driver; my modem cost
about that much - and after some discussion with THE BETTER HALF, I
think we're just going to get a nice external modem because the
philosophy behind "buying a modem then buying a driver" doesn't sit too
well with either of us.

Being that I haven't spent much time inside of 10.0 OE MYSELF and
haven't had the chance to hack around a bit, and seeing as though the
device driver code requires a "license", I might give it a go at hacking
through the code a tad bit FOR MY OWN LEARNING so that I can locate and
remove the license code generation crap and possibly have a driver that
can be a fully functional fax and modem that isn't limited to 14.4k (how
bloody damn stupid is that shit?)

...and if anything else, I think the days of "modems" in our house is
coming to an end. I can't function properly over dialup what with all
the Windows updates I have to get for customers - it's getting slightly
more than ridiculous...

stephen kuhn - proprietor

Stephen; No Prob. Took about 40 seconds to find the links. WooHoo! I was kinda surprised to see you asking about modem info, since I thought you'd already know about them. Guess I was right.

If you go with an external modem, you should be able to find some nice ones out there, but even so, the fastest Fax you'll ever find is 19,600 bps. They just don't make fax machines any faster than that, so that will be the best speed you'll ever get from the fax software.

Having a modem for faxing is probably a good idea, but as things are, i only use mine on my laptop when I'm out of town on Business. Even so, I make a point of making sure that the hotels I stay in have "data-ports" in the rooms.

Personally, I think that modem manufacturers are toning down their R&D efforts because of the availability of High-Speed solutions. That's probably the reason that their not breaking any records in releasing Linux drivers, too.

Hope you're not too far away from a good DSL or Cable ISP down there.

Good Luck with the driver project.

Lanman