C. Tresenriter wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:58:35 -0500 "Mikkel L. Ellertson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dumb question time - Are the connectors on that cable labeled for where they should be plugged in? (Motherboard, drive 0, drive 1)
If so, are you plugging things in the correct place? You may also
have to try cable select instead of master/slave...

Mikkel --

They are labled... the end connector says it's the master one... and it's installed properly.

I've never used cable select setting before - and it may work and
allow me to avoid the issue altogther but if it's possible I would
like to understand what's going on in addition to getting things
working better than intermittently - failing that, getting things
working would be good enough.

If I understand correctly, a disk that sits at drive 0 would be
looking for the boot record in one place and that same disk at drive
1 would be looking to boot from the same place but would want to see
a different label - hdb as opposed to hda. Would this be basically
correct?

Curt

Not exactly how I would explain it. Think of it this way - the drive connected to drive 0 acts like it is jumpered as master, and the one on drive 1 acts like it is jumpered as slave. So you can swap the drive assignments by changing where the drive is plugged in, instead of having to change jumpers on the drive. On the first IDE interface, the drive on drive 0 will be /dev/hda, and on drive one /dev/hdb.

If I were you, I would try changing to cable select, and see if that fixes the problem. I know that one setup I have does not work right when useing the cable select cable, and jumpering as master, or slave.
(The drive also says to use cable select if possible...)

As far as booting goes, if you have a drive on drive 0, that is normaly the drive the system will dry and boot from. Some BIOS will let you boot from other drives, but the default is IDE0, drive C, or the first hard drive - depending on what the BIOS calls it. While may be able to boot from a drive on drive 1 (IDE1), it is better to have the boot drive on IDE0, because LILO gets confused if you boot from IDE1, and later add a drive on IDE0. The BIOS numbering of the drives changes, and LILO uses the BIOS number to load things. (Grub, and the kernel are smarter...)

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!