Job Evers wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:48:30 -0500 Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

If your hardware is working correctly, it is normally scanning the SCSI bus at this point, to see what is connected. (The controller board has its own BIOS that is running.) I am not sure of the exact
sequence of this controller, but if it just sits there, I would suspect that your SCSI drive are not terminated properly, or they
are addressed wrong. Let it sit at that point for about 5 minutes,
and see what it comes back with, if anything. More information on
the hardware would also help. (Number and type of drives. Internal
and/or external drives, ect.)

Yes, it does just sit there.  When I disconnect the drives the
computer moves past the 'scanning screen' and boots up fine into the
cdrom.  Regarding the hardware, it is a BusLogic controller.  I have
two hardrives connected to it.  Both are internal ibm scsi drives
(model number ddrs-39130)

Thanks for your help

This makes me think that the SCSI cable is not properly terminated.  A
SCSI cable has to be terminated on both ends.  With internal drives,
this is normally done on the controller board, and ether the last drive
on the cable, or a terminerator on the end of the cable.

The controller card can ether have auto-termination, or have a jumper to
 control it.  The drive will have a jumper, and possible removable
resister packs.  (I have not had a chance to check the drive numbers.)
If the cable has a terminator, it will ether be plugged into the last
connector, or be built into the end of the cable.

Troubleshooting SCSI problems can be a challenge. If I remember right,
there is a SCSI HOWTO. See if this helps. If not, see if you can
determine how things are terminated. You can also try booting with just the last drive in the chain connected, and see what that does.

I can probably be of more help later tonight...

Mikkel