On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:14:43 -0500, Hoyt Bailey wrote
> On Monday 28 June 2004 12:56, Scott Mazur wrote:
> > As another personal preference, I always create a single partition
> mounted
> > as /system at 1g size.  I use this partiton to keep custom scripts
> (like
> > backup/recovery and setup), copies of config files, browser links,
> misc
> > info, etc.  It's just big enough to be useful without taking up to
> much
> > space.  It's my permanent storage area.  Between installs and upgrades
> I can
> > wipe every other partition (including /home) if I have to, without
> loosing
> > all my own hard work.  I'm also guaranteed that no other
> install/ugrade
> > process will try to touch my stuff.
> >
> And when your HD goes to the happy hunting ground what then.

The /system partition gets copied entirely to the /backup/hda partition,
which in turn is copied directly to the /backup/hdb partition (second
drive).  /backup/hda is also copied entirely to a second box, which in turn
keeps it safe by duplicating it on two drives.  It's maybe excessive
redundancy (and wasted disk space), but nothing short of my house burning
down is ever going to knock out 4 drives in 2 boxes (knock on wood).  And if
my house burns down, well then I've got more things to worry about than the
melted cdrom/tape backups I had sitting on the shelf.  /system never really
goes away ;)

Actually the scripts I keep in /system are far more involved.  They also
catalogue users, installed RPMS, network settings and modify server config
files (apache, named, nfs, postfix, shorewall, etc).  In fact the /system
directory (and a full /backup)is all I need to bring a blank box up to full
running and configured status with the minumum fuss (the important stuff
anyway).  Makes upgrading a breeze (or at least repeatable).  It's really
nice to just click through the default install cdroms then let the scripts
in /system take over (post-install) to install/configure the missing pieces
to bring the machine back to my prefered settings.

Scott

--
Nothing goes to waste when Little Fish are near!
(http://www.littlefish.ca)