On Tuesday 29 June 2004 11:42, Malcom Schnabel wrote:
> I have downloaded and installed Mandrake Linux 10.0 on
> my extra computer. Everything appears to be working
> perfectly with the exception of my MO Drive. HardDrake
> had no problem recognizing the drive (Olympus MOS540)
> or the SCSI host adapter (Adaptec AHA-7850).
> Unfortunately, when I try to access my disks there are
> no files visible. From all appearances the disks are
> blank even though I have verified on other computers
> that they are not (Both MS Windows and SCO-Unix
> formats).
> Also, Mandrake automatically set up icons on the
> desktop for direct access to my floppy drive and my
> CD-ROM but nothing appeared for the optical drive. I
> don't know what I'm doing as far as manually setting
> up and mounting drives.
> I am a newbie in every sense of the word when it comes
> to Linux. I do have 25 years of experience with
> DOS/Windows though. Perhaps that is part of the
> problem.
> Any help you can provide will be most appreciated.

It sounds like the drives arnt mounted.  To mount a drive you must have
a directory for it in the case of CD or floppy that is usually
under /mnt (/mnt/cdrom or /mnt/floppy) for HD it can be anywhere under
'/'(/ is the parent directory).  You can 'mkdir /mnt/misc' and issue
'mount /mnt/misc' but first you must define the drive in '/etc/fstab'
Read the Fine Manual (RTFM) by issueing 'man mount' check at the bottom
for other refereces.  I know you likely dont need such a basic
explanation but one never knows.  Have Fun.

--
Regards;
Hoyt