----- Original Message -----
From: zamri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 03:21:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [newbie] ping Steven Kuhn: Gnome 2.6
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It's nice actually to have a distro that is lean and mean targeted for
older computers. Can u imagine if we run it on newer computers ? but
it is optimized for newer CPUs. That's where Mandrake excels .

Yeah, I have installed MDK on older computers without any problem--I
just use the text mode install and skip KDE and Gnome; I wish there
were more options besides IceWM for a low-spec machine on install in
Mdk, like one of the boxes (flux|black|open...), or better yet pekwm
(that was just to see if Joe is paying attention ;)). Course when
Gnome 2.6 comes out in Mdk 10.1, I might install it. So far, though,
I'm lovin'  Slackware, but I have a lot more to learn.

And I say these good things about Gnome coming from a long history of
despising it; however, it's really come together nicely.

Todd

Todd Slater wrote:

Just an FYI-

I downloaded Slackware 10 to try since it comes with Gnome 2.6; after
some head-scratching (I've only installed Mandrake) I got it installed
and have Gnome as default environment. It is *very* nice. Running on an
old machine, it's nice and zippy. It does take a little to load--not as
fast as XFce4 or others, but once it's going--sweet. That's on a 266MHz
with 64MB RAM.