Mark Rogers wrote:

Hi Team

Im just getting to know Linux and Mandrake and need to know how Linux/Mandrake handles
the following situation:-

1) Lets say I install Mandrake on one PC, and setup web servers (Apache), services etc.

2) Then I move that hard disk to another machine - but this second machine has
different m/board, video, network etc. (Im proposing to do it this way to minimise
down time on the PC Im moving the hard disk to)

Questions: What are the likelyhoods of Mandrake booting to a command line? Booting to a GUI?

Exceptionally good (commmand line), I do it all the time... just make sure that if the drive is on primary master of the old system, that it is primary master on the new one, or you will not boot.
Make sure you configure the system to boot to command line only before the swap and you will be fine.

If it can only boot to a command line/gui what can I do to get it to recognise the new hardware?

unless you have turned off harddrake on boot, then you should turn it back on prior to the changeover.
It should detect anything different and make any of the changes required.

Then just run drakeconf in a root login and setup the new X setup.

Would a full reinstall over the top recognise the new hardware and yet leave application setups (like Apache) configured?
Why? its not necessary.

What whould you suggest is the best way to handle this problem? (And if simply installing on the second PC is the easiest then please tell me that too) :-)

See above.
Thanks in advance to anyone who answers

Cheers

Mark :-)

--
rgds

Frank Hauptle (aka Franki)

For free scripts, online webmaster tools, HTML, XHTML, Perl & PHP tutorials and stuff, visit:
http://htmlfixit.com Free web developer resources.

Please sign our petition to encourage notebook manufacturers to offer video card upgrades just like desktops.
http://www.petitiononline.com/inspiron/petition.html