Hoyt Bailey wrote:

Well I think I made all the changes that were recommended. I still dont
understand although I was able to contact my bank and access my account
which is what really started all this. It appears that everything is
now working. But I have some questions.
I went into the welcome screen, Configuration and redone the internet
portion.

Reset hostname to: 68.89.250.128
Reset 1st DNS to:151.164.1.8
Reset  2nd DNS to : 206.13.28.12
Reset  3rd DNS to: 151.164.11.201 (provided by Tom)
Rebooted the system.

'/etc/resolv.conf' didnt change?
[EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search domain_not_set.invalid
nameserver 192.168.0.1
nameserver 192.168.0.1
[EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
HOSTNAME=68.89.250.128
NETWORKING=yes
[EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=""
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

It sounds like the DSL "modem" acts like a caching name server, and forwards the requests to the ISP's name servers. If you had changed the host name to something local, and the name wasn't in /etc/hosts, then that would slow down network operations, because you would have to wait for the timeout as the system looked up your host name. If you want to specify your own host name, you should make it an alias for localhost...

Mikkel