On Tue, 09 Nov 1999, you wrote:

> I would like to get a new external modem and a PS/2 mouse, OR an internal modem and
>a PS/2 mouse (that's how my system has to be set up).
>
> I would appreciate anyone's brand name recommendations for the least hassle getting
>these to work in Linux-Mandrake.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Karen
> My greatest fear in life is that no-one will remember me after
> I'm dead. - some dead guy

Much as I hate microsoft software, if I had the money, I'd
probably get their new optical PS/2 scroll mouse. As for a
modem, almost any ISA modem will work, but I would
recommend you avoid PCI modems, as the vast majority of
them are not compatible with Linux.
Your best assurance that a modem will work with Linux is to
pick up an external modem. I personally like Supra modems
(Supra is now owned by Diamond MultiMedia) Compaq/Microcom
makes pretty good modems as well...
        John