On Wednesday 21 July 2004 05:54 pm, Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:

> I don't want to run my own mail server (not at the moment). I rely on my
> isp for sending and receiving email.
>
> Is there a simple way to do this? Can I somehow tell kmail to do it for me?
> If not, can someone point me to some good instructions for configuring
> postfix to do what I need without interfering with email to/from my isp,
> and without opening up security holes in my system (e.g. an open relay).

Look for and install a package called esmtp, that mirrors sendmail
functionality but doesn't actually work as an MTA itself, it simply relays
messages to your MTA of choice.  In essence, it provides you with full
sendmail compatibility for scripts but it only relays messages just as your
mail client would.

There are a couple of other packages that do the same thing as well but esmtp
is very simply to setup and configure for what you want it to do.  The only
drawback is that it won't route local messages to your machine, you have to
send to fully qualified email addresses because you are are relaying through
an external server.  IOW, you can't send message to [EMAIL PROTECTED], etc.
--
Bryan Phinney